- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750g beef chuck steak, roughly chopped
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 25g butter, plus 25g extra
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 baby fennel, thinly shaved
- 40g baby spinach leaves, shredded
- ¼ cup chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- Goats cheese, to serve
- In a large flameproof casserole dish, heat oil on high. Brown beef in 2 batches, 2-3 minutes each. Drain excess fat and reserve. Add stock, water & vinegar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered 1 ½ hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from cooking liquid & transfer to a plate. Shred meat & set aside. Keep liquid warm on medium.
- In a large saucepan, heat reserved fat & butter on medium. Saute onion, 2 minutes until tender. Add mushroom, cook 2-3 minutes until all liquid has evaporated. Mix in rice and garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Add hot liquid, ½ cup at a time, stirring until absorbed and rice is al dente (about 20 mins). Stir lentils, fennel, spinach and chives through. Serve with goats cheese and extra chives.
Nepean Naturopathic Centre – making health easy