Natural Medicine for Rosacea
WHAT IS IT?
Rosacea, or acne rosacea, is a chronic skin disorder affecting the curves and features of the middle of the face. It is characterised by one or more of the following primary features: flushing and redness(erythema), papules and pustules, threadlike red lines or patterns that may cross the face of rosacea patients. Women over the age of 30 and are of a Caucasian background appear to have a greater risk of rosacea.
Due to the visible nature of roasacea, sufferers can experience low self-esteem, embarrassment and frustration. If you suffer from rosacea, a doctor may have offered you antiobitic treatment, but that has its own complications…
Did you know that a naturopath can help improve the quality of your skin?
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES?
Currently, we don’t know exactly what causes rosacea, but it looks like both genetics and environmental factors play a role.
- In some individuals, mites on the surface of the skin called Demodex folliculorum trigger an immune response that causes inflammation of the skin.
- Other microbial exposures might also trigger this reaction, like Bacillus oleronius, Staphyloccucs epidermis, Helicobacter pylori and Chlamydophila pneumonia
- Studies show that there is a pathological link between rosacea and gastrointestinal disorders, including H.pylori.
- It may also be influenced by dysbiosis, or the imbalance of your gut microbiota. People who have rosacea are more likely to have an increased prevalence of gastrointestinal disorders like small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and Coeliac disease!
- There’s also a strong correlation between autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and Coeliac disease in those with rosacea, particularly in females.
HOW CAN A NATUROPATH HELP?
Dietary modifications have become an accepted part of rosacea treatment as some food and drinks may aggravate rosacea. A simple way of managing a rosacea flare is to avoid or limit spicy foods, alcoholic beverages and hot or caffeinated drinks. But a naturopath can help you to identify your specific triggers, as they will vary from patient to patient!
Some suggest that the reason antibiotics might assist in the treatment of rosacea is because it is addressing an underlying infection or bacterial imbalance. Therefore potential treatment options could include prebiotics and probiotics. At Nepean Naturopathic Centre, we focus a lot of our treatment on using herbal remedies to eradicate underlying infections, regulate your microbiota and increase the presence of good bacteria in your gut.
- IMMUNE REGULATION WITH NUTRIENTS
Key nutrients shown to improve symptoms of rosacea include zinc and vitamin D because of the role they play in regulating our immune response, increasing skin integrity and healing mucous membranes in the body. Key nutrients, which include other foundational basics like B vitamins, magnesium and lots more, are a primary part of our treatment at Nepean Naturopathic Centre
- REDUCE INFLAMMATION
A key aspect of treatment that we work on at Nepean Naturopathic Centre is the reduction of inflammation in the body. Inflammation can be caused by many things, including stress, toxin exposure, poor diet or lack of nutrients, excess consumption of trigger foods, lack of physical activity, and the list goes on. Working with a qualified naturopath will help you to identify areas of your life that are inflammatory!
Naturopaths can help to radically improve symptoms of rosacea and reduce the impact it has on your quality of life. Call 9785 7885 TODAY to book an appointment, or click HERE.