A spicy version of the old-fashioned chicken casserole! The addition of chilli pesto and coconut milk give it a lovely oriental flavour, whilst adding a little bit of heat to keep you warm this winter.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons chilli pesto
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 150g green beans, trimmed, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf basil leaves
- Brown or Basmati Rice, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish or saucepan, over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in dish. Add carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until just starting to brown. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in pesto and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to dish. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Add capsicum. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add milk and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. Serve with rice.
Source: Super Food Ideas – August 2011 , Page 43
Recipe by Kim Coverdale
Photo credit: TheCulinaryGeek / Foter / CC BY