This is a lovely warming and nutritious soup for those cold winter afternoons. The red curry paste and chili are good to stimulate the circulation and clear the sinuses. Sweet potato is a very nutritious vegetable, rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and high in fibre.
Coriander is a good digestive herb, but can also bind up heavy metals for removal from the body. It is an antioxidant and has been shown to have anticancer properties.
- 1 teaspoon salt-Reduced Chicken stock powder
- 1L (4 cups) boiling water
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
- 750g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 90g (1/3 cup) extra light sour cream
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
Combine stock powder and water in a jug. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in curry paste for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
Add the carrot, sweet potato and stock mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
Blend the soup until smooth. Heat over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Season.
Combine the sour cream, chilli and coriander in a bowl. Serve with the soup.
Australian Good Taste – June 2012 , Page 70
Recipe by Chrissy Free
Photo credit: jules:stonesoup / Foter / CC BY